Pages

Thursday, March 6, 2014

I don't get it


In my relationship with the Lord one of the ways that He has always seemed to communicate an important truth to me is by nailing me with an overarching theme that I just can’t get away from.

This theme usually gets reinforced to me in the scripture I’m reading, the music I’m listening to, the sermons I’m hearing and in my personal quiet times.

It’s pretty cool how, when I actually slow down enough to pay attention to what He’s sending my way the messages begin to get connected and I‘m able to walk away with a Lesson that God wants me to process and hopefully learn.

I love how God has taken the various and sundry experiences I’ve had, and in my little pea brain summarizes them in a phrase or a theme so that I can apply the lessons to my life.



Many times in my life the lesson has been clear, vivid and even unmistakable, but lately I’m realizing that life isn’t always that neat and tidy. Sometimes I just need to step back and say, “I don’t get it.”

That’s exactly where I find myself today, how about you?

I could go on and on with things that have been happening in our world, our country, and right in my own backyard, things that are causing this theme to flash right in my face like a neon billboard…I don’t get it!

That’s kind of depressing isn’t it? It sure is, but one thing I am so thankful for is the fact that even though the phrase “I don’t get it” is dominating my thoughts these days, and even though tragic things are happening all around me. God is still in control! I am so thankful for that!

Several years ago I had a conversation with some skaters at our weekly skater event called Hang Time. They were asking some good questions about God, Christians and the Church.


It was so cool to sit on a ramp with a slice of pizza and a bunch of very inquisitive skater dudes whose interest had been peaked by this church not only welcoming them with open arms, but actually building them a park, arranging for them to have unlimited access to their gym, game room, and sound equipment...then on top of all that making it a "fee-less" entry policy and even giving them free food and drinks.

They couldn't believe it, and every week it gave our team incredible opportunities to answer my favorite question that we got posed with all the time..."Why do you do all this for us for free?" It gave us such an open door to answer their question with my favorite answer, "Because God's love for you is free!"


So as I was sitting there doing ministry with my tools in hand, I got a chance to respond to another statement that was a regular one that we fielded.


One of the skaters said, "Brent, I would follow God if I could understand everything there was to know about Him."

Think about that for a second. "If I could understand everything there is to know about God...then I would follow Him."

I thought about that, took another bite of my pizza and a sip of my soda and then said something like this..."Hmm, interesting, I don't know about you, but if me and my little pea brain could understand everything there was to know about God...he'd be a pretty lame God and not worth following!"

It was a good little nugget to throw out there for them to think about, and to this day it has caused me to be so thankful that I don't know everything there is to know about God, and I never will...He is indescribable, and is so worthy of our Praise!

He created me, knows me, loves me, sent His son to die for me, has prepared a place for me and has an incredible plan for me that includes working some of the most amazing people in the world.

I don’t get God, and I never will, that’s what makes Him God and me…me!

You know what else I don’t get? I don’t get why God sent His only Son to die for me!

Why did He come to this earth and leave the splendor of heaven? I don’t get it!

Why did He choose to use a kid from a small town, with not many skills and a pretty tough upbringing instead of writing him off? I don’t get it.

The days we live in are pretty crazy, there’s tragedy all around us that’s for sure. I’m not trivializing that, and I’m sure not trying to belittle or put down what people are feeling and experiencing, but in the grand scheme of things from God’s perspective He is in control.

A scriptural truth I’m clinging to these days is “I know the plans I have for you, plans to prosper you, plans to give you hope and a future.”

It’s my prayer today that in the middle of your “I don’t get it moments” you’d stop and realize that God is good, He has a plan and that plan is to bring hope and the biggest part of that Hope is found in a relationship with His one and only Son…Jesus.

As I’ve been wrestling, praying, processing and learning this lesson lately, one of my favorite quotes came roaring into my mind that helped me begin to get a glimpse of the character of God.

At the end of the “Chronicles of Narnia” the statement is made about Aslan as He is walking away…”He’s not safe, but He is good!”

I don’t get why God allows tragic things to happen, and I don’t get why He paid my penalty.

I’m so glad I don’t understand all there is to know about God; I don’t want to serve a Lame god!

No comments:

Post a Comment